Episode 8: Blote billetjes in ‘t groen (Dutch)First aired: Tuesday, 20 October 2015 at 17.32 hours
Today in Proeftijd we visit a real bean expert. The dish he will make for us, ‘Blote billetjes in ‘t groen’ fits him like a glove, because the main ingredients are beans!
This time we’re not only going to cook in Proeftijd. We also learn about the history of Loppersum. This history has everything to do with food. Born and raised ‘Lopster’ Menzo Eissens takes us to places that played an important role in the former village industry. Together we retrieve old memories.
Beans are the most important ingredient in this special stew, but real Groninger mustard is crucial with this dish. Therefore we travel to Eenrum, where Abraham’s Mosterdmakerij is situated. Owner Wendy Boonstra shows us how mustard is produced with beautiful old industrial machines. Finally, it’s time for Leonie and Jan to taste their cooking. Do you want to know how ‘blote billetjes in ‘t groen’ taste? Watch this episode of Proeftijd.
Blote billetjes in ‘t Groen
- 600 grams of string beans
- 400 grams of white beans
- 5 or 6 medium-sized potatoes
- 300 grams of bacon
- 4 sausages
- Mini pickles
For the gravy - ‘Jan style’ :
- Soy sauce
1. Cook the string beans, potatoes and 150 grams of bacon and mash everything
2. Bake the bacon until it’s nice and crusty
3. Heat the white beans and stir through the mishmash with the crusty bacon
4. Flavor the dish with salt and pepper
5. Bake the sausages
6. For the gravy: mix the butter, soy sauce and flower in a pan
7. Serve it all together, garnish with the gravy and mini pickles